The Texas Education Agency does not rank schools based on performance; rather it assigns each school an accountability rating that takes performance into consideration.
The Academic Excellence Indicator System (AEIS) collects data to rank Texas schools and districts according to a specific set of criteria classifying both districts and schools as Exemplary Recognized Academically Acceptable or Academically Unacceptable (see sidebar on What You Need to Know – School Performance Ratings for more information).
Reports are released each fall (see the Public School District listing in this section for a brief synopsis of each Austin-area school district’s AEIS report). The reports include information on how the school or the district performed on various standardized tests such as the SAT ACT and TAKS tests (*see NOTE below for more information).
Other performance indicators include:
• Results and participation in the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS*) tests by grade by subject and by all grades tested;
• Exit-level TAKS Cumulative Passing Rates;
• Progress of Prior Year TAKS Failures;
• Attendance Rates;
• Annual Dropout Rates (grades 7-8 grades 7-12 and grades 9-12);
• College Readiness Indicators including completion of advanced/dual enrollment courses and participation and Performance on Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations among others.
Performance on each of these indicators is also shown disaggregated by ethnicity sex special education low-income status limited English proficient status at-risk status and by bilingual/ESL for the district region and state. The reports also provide extensive information on school and district staff finances programs and student demographics.
Parents can tailor searches by district county region state and more. In all the reports are a good resource for parents when learning about the schools their children will attend. Access school and district AEIS reports via the Texas Education Agency website at www.tea.state.tx.us in the Testing/Accountability section of the site.