As a new resident to Texas newcomers have 30 days from the time they move here to register their vehicle in the state. To learn how you can read the ‘Apply to be Texan booklet‘ from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.  To stay up-to-date on any changes you can also check out

To register your vehicle in Texas here are the steps:

  1. Have your vehicle inspected. Simply take your vehicle to a certified Texas Department of Public Safety inspection station (Many mechanic shops oil change locations and service stations are certified by the Texas Department of Public Safety as inspection stations).  Your are required to have your insurance card with you at the time of inspection.In Texas you must show proof that you have insurance coverage for a minimum of $30000 per injured person up to a total of $60000 for everyone injured in an accident and $25000 for property damage.
  2. Next it’s time to get your vehicle registration sticker and license plates. To do this you must visit your local county tax-assessor collector office. You will need that insurance card the inspection papers and proof you own the vehicle such as the registration or title from your previous state. You can also show a current foreign/military ownership document or foreign evidence of ownership.You need to fill out and bring a form to the county tax office. You are not required to title your vehicle in Texas. If you wish to title your vehicle in Texas and have the title complete Form 130-U. If you do not possess the title because it has a lien you need to complete Form VTR-272.The base registration fee in Texas is $50.75 plus $1 for TexasSure the electronic insurance verification program and $1 for improvements to the registration and titling computer system. So total state registration is $52.75 but counties may add other fees to this cost. As a new resident you also will pay sales tax-related fees required by the state’s Comptroller of Public Accounts. Sales tax fees on a vehicle can be $90 or the difference between your previous state’s sales tax and the Texas sales tax.

    While at the county tax assessor-collector’s office you may ask to sign you up for eReminder. You will receive an email when it’s time to renew and in most counties you can renew your registration online.

    Note: Active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and non-resident full-time students attending a Texas college or university are not required to register or title their vehicles in Texas.

  3. As a reminder the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles  DOES NOT ISSUE DRIVER LICENSES. However as a new resident you are required to obtain your Texas driver license from the Texas Department of Public Safety within 90 days of moving here.

To receive a Texas driver license new residents must:

  1. Apply in person at a Texas driver license office.
  2. Present documents that verify your identity.
  3. Present documents that verify you are a U.S. citizen or have lawful presence. All information on each document must match. Additional documentation may be required to verify conflicting information incomplete names and date of birth.
  4. Present proof of Social Security Number. If you do not have a Social Security Number you must complete a Social Security Affidavit form available at the driver license office.
  5. Present proof of your Texas residency.
  6. Present proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance on all vehicles you own.
  7. Complete the application for driver license or identification card (PDF). You may type your information on the form print it and bring it with you to the office. If you don’t have a printer the form is also available at the office.
  8. Consent to be photographed fingerprinted and provide your signature at the time of application.
  9. Pass the written driving and vision examinations.
  10. Pay the required fee with a credit card cash money order or a non-temporary check.
  11. Provide a vehicle for the driving exam and present current liability insurance Texas vehicle registration and inspection for the vehicle.

For more information visit the Texas Departmartment of Motor Vehicle site at: or the Texas Department of Public Safety at: