To be eligible to register to vote in Texas you must:

• be a U.S. citizen;
• be a resident of the county (Under Texas law a person is considered a county resident as soon as he or she establishes a permanent residence within said county and has moved in.);
• be 18 years old (you may register at 17 years 10 months)
• not be a convicted felon (unless a person’s sentence is completed including any probation or parole)
• not be declared mentally incapacitated by a court of law

You may register to vote at any time:

• Complete a postage-free post card application and mail it or take it in person to the voter registrar in your county. Your registrar can be found online at Applications are available at any post office as well as your local public library and at any other government office.
• You can also register to vote online at as well as gain a wealth of other information on the Texas voting process.
• Your application must be submitted 30 days before an election for you to be eligible to vote in that election.
• Your spouse parent or child (acting as an agent) may complete and sign a voter registration application for you provided that this person is a registered voter or has applied for voter registration.

If any of the information on the voter registration application is incomplete you will be notified and required to send a second application. The second application must be received by the Voter Registrar within 10 days of notification.

You will receive a Voter Registration Certificate within 30 days. Check your certificate to make sure all information is correct. (If there is a mistake immediately make corrections and return it to the registrar.) Present your certificate at the polling place on Election Day.  You will receive a color-coded certificate every two years. Check your local newspaper on the Saturday before the election for the address of the polling place for your precinct and on election day arrive there between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. to cast your ballot.

For more voter registration information or assistance call 800-252-8683 or go to on the Internet.