Long Weekend Getaways
Whether you are a proud Austinite or a Newcomer to the area looking to escape the stress, anxiety, and structure of the big city, get ready to unwind your mind, body, and soul at local weekend getaways. If you are feeling brave and adventurous, then explore past the construction and traffic to beautiful nearby destinations.
Newcomers to Austin often seek a well-rounded long weekend getaway that provides a taste of the city’s unique culture, vibrant entertainment scene, outdoor activities, and delicious culinary offerings. Whether you have been planning a trip for some time or are making a spur of the moment decision, take note on some of these destinations that can offer relaxation, seclusion, or a dynamic family-friendly atmosphere sure to making memories of a lifetime!
Here are some top recommendations for your trip throughout the city of Austin:
- Downtown Austin: Explore the vibrant downtown area, stroll along 6th Street for live music and nightlife, visit the Texas State Capitol, and take in the city’s unique atmosphere.
- Lady Bird Lake: Rent a kayak, paddleboard, or take a leisurely walk or bike ride around Lady Bird Lake. The Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail offers beautiful views of the city skyline.
- South Congress (SoCo): This trendy neighborhood is known for its eclectic shops, vintage boutiques, and a variety of restaurants and food trucks. Don’t miss snapping a photo in front of the “I Love You So Much” mural.
- Zilker Park: Enjoy the outdoors at Zilker Park, where you can have a picnic, fly kites, or take a dip in Barton Springs Pool, a natural spring-fed swimming pool.
- Barton Creek Greenbelt: If you’re a nature lover, hike the Barton Creek Greenbelt trails and cool off in the natural swimming holes along the way.
- Rainey Street: Experience a unique nightlife scene on Rainey Street, known for its bungalow-style bars and food trucks.
- Blanton Museum of Art: Explore the impressive art collection at the Blanton Museum, which features a diverse range of artworks from various cultures and time periods.
- LBJ Presidential Library: Dive into history at the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum, which provides insights into the life and presidency of LBJ.
- Live Music Venues: As the Live Music Capital of the World, Austin has numerous venues where you can catch live music performances. The Continental Club, Antone’s, and Mohawk are just a few examples.
- Food Trucks and Culinary Scene: Indulge in Austin’s renowned food truck scene and try local favorites like breakfast tacos, barbecue, and gourmet donuts.
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum: Enjoy a peaceful stroll through the sculpture garden, showcasing the works of renowned sculptor Charles Umlauf.
- Austin’s Bat Bridge: Watch the spectacle of thousands of bats emerging from underneath the Congress Avenue Bridge at sunset. It’s a unique and popular Austin experience.
- Visit Nearby Wineries and Breweries: Take a short drive to the Texas Hill Country and explore the region’s wineries and craft breweries.
- Circuit of the Americas: If you’re a fan of motorsports, check the event calendar at Circuit of the Americas for exciting races and events.