Image by: Christin Hume of WitchCraft Tap Room and Bottle Shop
Octoberfest in and around Austin offers a dynamic blend of German traditions and Texan charm. By planning ahead, exploring the local beer scene, savoring authentic cuisine, embracing the music and dance, and participating in various festivities, you will create unforgettable memories during this vibrant celebration. So, grab your lederhosen, raise a stein, and enjoy the unique Octoberfest experience Austin has to offer!
Whether you are looking for traditional German celebrations or more modern twists on the theme, here are some places you can go for Octoberfest entertainment in and around Austin:
- Wurstfest (New Braunfels): Located just a short drive from Austin, Wurstfest in New Braunfels is one of the most famous Octoberfest celebrations in Texas. It’s a traditional German festival with live music, polka dancing, authentic German food, and a wide selection of beers. Wurstfest typically runs for ten days and attracts thousands of visitors.
- German Free School of Austin: This cultural center in Austin often hosts its own Octoberfest celebration, featuring live music, German food, beer, and activities for the whole family. It is a great place to experience German traditions in the heart of Austin.
- Scholz Garten: As one of the oldest operating beer gardens in America, Scholz Garten is an iconic spot in Austin. During Octoberfest, it hosts special events with live music, German beer, and traditional food. It’s a historic venue that adds a touch of authenticity to the celebrations.
- Banger’s Sausage House & Beer Garden: Banger’s is known for its extensive sausage menu and wide selection of craft beers. They host a lively Octoberfest celebration with special beer tappings, live music, and plenty of brats and pretzels. The atmosphere is energetic, and the communal picnic tables create a social and festive environment.
- Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg: A bit further from Austin but worth the drive, Fredericksburg hosts its own Oktoberfest celebration, complete with a traditional German-style biergarten, live music, dancing, and a variety of food and beverage options. The town’s German heritage is on full display during this event.
- Live Music Venues: Throughout October, many live music venues in Austin incorporate German-themed performances into their schedules. Check out places like the Continental Club, Mohawk Austin, or Antone’s for special Octoberfest-themed shows.
- Local Breweries: Austin’s vibrant craft beer scene comes alive during Octoberfest. Many local breweries, such as Austin Beerworks and Live Oak Brewing Company, organize special events with German-style beer releases, live music, and food trucks.
- Community Centers: Some community centers and neighborhood associations in and around Austin organize their own Octoberfest celebrations. These smaller-scale events often have a local and community-focused feel.
- Local Restaurants: Check out German-themed restaurants and beer gardens in Austin like Easy Tiger, Saengerrunde Hall, or Haymaker, which offer special Octoberfest menus and entertainment.
- Outdoor Parks and Festivals: Keep an eye out for open-air Octoberfest festivals and events taking place in Austin’s parks, such as Zilker Park or Mueller Lake Park. These gatherings often include music, food, and activities for all ages.
- University Events: If you’re affiliated with the University of Texas at Austin, the campus occasionally hosts Octoberfest-themed events, providing a fun and lively atmosphere.
- Virtual Events: In case you can’t make it to in-person celebrations, look for virtual Octoberfest events and live streams hosted by Austin-based organizations and breweries, allowing you to participate from the comfort of your home.
If none of these events are what you are looking for, then click on either of the links below to view the Events Calendar or Fall Bucket List for October and November presented by Visit Austin at:
While Austin may not be Germany, it knows how to throw a fantastic Octoberfest celebration! These are just a few options for enjoying Octoberfest entertainment in and around Austin. Whether you are seeking a traditional German experience or a more modern and local celebration, Austin has something for everyone to enjoy during this festive season.